The SME Climate Commitment is the official pathway for small and medium sized businesses to join the United Nations’ Race to Zero campaign. It was initiated in 2020 by Majda Dabaghi (ICC) and Johan Falk (ERI).
The SME Climate Hub is a global initiative that aims to mainstream climate action in the small to medium sized business community, and enable SMEs to build resilient businesses for the future.
Businesses with under 500 employees represent 90% of business globally, and affect the livelihoods of over 2 billion people. We are here to support these businesses as they commit to their net zero journey. Our pragmatic approach removes the obstacles SMEs face as they take climate action — whether curbing emissions in their own business or getting green solutions to market.
The first step is making the commitment: to halve emissions by 2030 and to become net zero by 2050 or sooner. The SME Climate Hub has developed free, practical resources specifically tailored to support SMEs on their net zero journey through strategic emission reductions and opportunities for climate leadership. Businesses can calculate their emissions with the Business Carbon Calculator, learn how to take action with the Climate Fit education course and access support through the Financial Support guide and 1.5°C Business Playbook. The SME Climate Hub has also partnered with Oxford University to provide SMEs with a library of external tools that offer additional support to small businesses taking concrete steps towards climate action.
Climate action helps small businesses build resilience amid shifting policy regulations, changing consumer demands, and global expectations. It’s in the best interest of business to start their journey — today.
The SME Climate Hub is an initiative founded by the We Mean Business Coalition, Exponential Roadmap Initiative and the United Nations Race to Zero campaign in collaboration with Oxford University and Normative. The SME Climate Commitment is the official pathway for small and medium sized businesses to join the United Nations global Race to Zero campaign.
Software platform powered by
Strategic knowledge partners
We Mean Business Coalition
Dr. María Mendiluce
Chief Executive Officer
Director, SME Climate Hub
Supply Chains Manager
Deputy Director, Communications
Exponential Roadmap Initiative
CEO & Co-founder
Press Relations Contact
United Nations Race To Zero
Director of Strategic Communications, UN Climate Champions
Communications Manager, UN Climate Champions
Race to Zero Campaign Coordinator, UN Climate Champions
Dr. Alexander Schmidt
Head of Partnerships
Monique Dugarte Ramos
Oxford University’s Net Zero Climate Research and Engagement Team
Net Zero Policy Engagement Fellow
Research Associate & Strategy Lead
Special thanks to
- Majda Dabaghi. Thank you to Majda Dabaghi (former ICC) for your early work initiating the SME Climate Hub in 2020.
- The New Division. Thank you to Jakob Trollbäck and Hannah Boman of New Division for their early support in helping to define the SME Climate Hub branding.
- Empower. Thank you to Elana Kenton, Laura Townshend and Ben Matthews of Empower for their support and expertise with our social media channels.
- Robin Tyan. Thank you to Robin Tyan for crucial input for the design of the SME Climate Hub logo and sharing her strategic communications expertise.
- Gabriel O’Keeffe. Thank you to Gabriel O’Keeffe for reviewing the tools and resources from an SME perspective and coordinating input from SME business leaders.
Thank you to our partners!see all partners
Get in touch
Questions, feedback or suggestions? Get in touch!